1. Make your GoFundMe look its best
We recommend considering the following tips, to create a successful GoFundMe:
- Use a bright main image, or make a video! This is your shot at a powerful first impression and we’ve found that adding the right images is key to your fundraiser's success.
- We also recommend using images of the people involved, since images of people get stronger reactions than a graphic or text
- Avoid blurry or low-quality images.
- Write a great and descriptive fundraiser title that’s fitting to your fundraiser. Make sure it’s action-driven, and includes the name of the person or organization the funds are for.
2. Share with friends and family on Facebook
Your first supporters will be the people in your life. Sharing your fundraiser with your Facebook network should be your first step to a successful GoFundMe, and it’s our best tip if you’re looking to increase donations.
When posting to social media, add a personalized message with your link, explaining why your GoFundMe means so much to you, and how grateful you’ll be for a donation or share! A simple, direct, and heartfelt appeal will get you the most views.
3. Send personal outreaches
Personally share your link with 4-5 friends or family members by sending a text message, Facebook message, email, asking in person, or by making a phone call.
If you’re sending emails, you may want to consider using email templates to make the most out of your outreach. While it’s beneficial to use social media to promote your fundraiser, there are ways to share without social media that can help you get the support you need.
4. Post frequent updates
Supporters appreciate receiving updates from fundraiser organizers and updates can contribute to a successful GoFundMe. Why? Because it’s a way to continue engaging the people who want to help you most. You can write a fundraiser update quickly and we can help.
Some great updates include:
- Genaue Informationen zur Verwendung der Spenden
- Würdigungen der Personen, die dich durch ihre Spende oder das Teilen deiner Kampagne unterstützt haben
- How you (or your beneficiary) is doing
- Ein Aufruf an alle Unterstützer, den Link zu deiner Kampagne mit den eigenen Kontakten zu teilen
5. Show your appreciation
Always thank your donors, as soon as you can! Your donors are sharing their hard earned money to help you accomplish something that is important to you.
Pro Tip: Consider requesting that your donors share your GoFundMe link, if you’re comfortable asking!
6. Withdraw your funds
Once you've started raising funds, you'll need to set up withdrawals. For personal fundraisers, withdrawals can take 2-5 business days to arrive to the bank account on file, so it’s important to get these started as soon as possible!
Making a withdrawal will not affect your GoFundMe. It will not be reflected on your GoFundMe that you’ve withdrawn funds, you can still accept donations, and your GoFundMe will not end (until you choose to deactivate it).
Did you know... Keeping funds in your payment account for too long can cause your donations to turn off, or even be refunded?
Looking for more ways to make your fundraiser a success? Check out the GoFundMe blog for more great ideas.