Our number one goal at GoFundMe is to ensure that all of the funds raised on our platform are used only as stated in the campaign story, and to ensure that all donations are delivered securely to the right person. As part of this, GoFundMe relies on the help of our community to keep GoFundMe safe. Below are some guidelines and questions you can use to determine a campaign's legitimacy.
You should be able to answer the following questions by reading the campaign:
- How is the campaign organiser related to the intended recipient of the donations?
- What is the purpose of the campaign and how will the funds be used?
- Are immediate family and friends making donations and leaving supportive comments?
- Is the intended recipient in control of the withdrawals? If not, is there a clear path for the funds to reach them?
If any of the points above are missing on the campaign, we encourage you to message the organiser by clicking on the envelope icon next to their name to ask for more information.
If the campaign includes the points above, but you are still unsure, ask yourself the following:
- Does the GoFundMe include intentionally misleading or factually incorrect information?
- Are the funds not being used for the stated purpose within a reasonable amount of time (including withholding funds from the beneficiary)?
- Is the GoFundMe impersonating someone else and/or copying their story?
- Is the GoFundMe violating any of our terms and conditions listed here?
If the answer is yes to any of these questions, please click here to learn how to Report a GoFundMe.