Why you need to verify your phone number
For personal campaigns in selected countries, you may be required to verify your account by phone. Verifying your phone number (or using MFA - Multi-Factor Authentication) before you withdraw creates an extra layer of verification whenever you are managing your funds. Relying on a password alone is less secure because a password is something that someone else may be able to obtain. MFA is a powerful tool against hackers and scammers.
Note: You will need to make sure that you use a phone number in the country that you created the campaign in. For example, if you set up a campaign in USD, you will need to have a code sent to a US phone number within the 50 states. If you set up a Canadian campaign, you will need to verify with a code sent to a Canadian phone number.
If you do not have a phone number
- You can ask close friend or family member to provide a phone number in the country you signed up with. They will need to also give you the 2-step authentication code each time you log in to GoFundMe on a new device. The codes expire in 10-15 minutes so make sure it is someone that you can easily speak with.
- You can sign up for a free number from TextNow. This is a free number that you can use to receive texts and phone calls on your computer or tablet.
- If you have one, you can also try using a Skype number. Our verification codes will work with them, even if you are overseas.
If these options don't work for you, please contact our team by explaining a bit about the situation so that we can find the best way to help you.
Not receiving code to your phone solutions
Wait 15 minutes to request a new code.
If you have not verified with your phone yet and have not received a code through text message, we first recommend waiting 15 minutes for the code to arrive, and then requesting a new code if it does not come.
Verification codes expire after 10 minutes.
Make sure that you only enter the most recent code that you've received and that you do so within 10 minutes of the code reaching your phone.
Codes will always be five or six digits long.
If the code you type in is not working, make sure you are entering a five- or six-digit code. The code will be sent from a five-digit number, so please check that you are not entering the phone number the code was sent from by mistake.
Make sure that you have adequate mobile phone coverage.
These codes are sent in the same way as any other text or phone call, so if you don't have particularly good coverage where you are, please try waiting for 10 minutes and moving somewhere else with a more stable connection.
Request the code via "Voice Call".
If you still aren't getting a text message, you can try requesting a code via "Voice Call".
If you haven't verified your phone number yet, follow these steps from a computer or mobile browser:
- Sign in to your GoFundMe account here
- Select the "Withdraw" button
- Enter your phone number in the verification window
- Select "Voice Call" and then "Send"
- Enter your 5-digit code on GoFundMe
If you’ve already entered your phone number, hit the "Need to change the number" button to request a voice call instead.
Changing your phone number
If you’ve already verified your account with a phone number, you can follow these steps to reset it:
- Sign in to your GoFundMe campaign dashboard
- Select the "Withdraw" button
- Choose the link labelled "Need to change phone number?"
- On the next screen, enter your old phone number and select "Reset". Once your old phone number has been verified, you'll be able to enter your new phone number