How to get funds to a charity organisation
If you're one of the countless individuals, businesses or organisations that has decided to raise funds for charity, crowdfunding can help. If you haven’t already signed up, the process is quick and easy, allowing you to get your fundraiser up and running in a matter of minutes. Once you’ve created your fundraiser, follow the guidelines below to ensure that the charity receives your funds as quickly as possible.
Our main goal is to make sure that your donors are aware of where their funds will be every step of the way. To make this happen, you'll need to explain in the fundraiser's story who is responsible for withdrawing the money into their own bank account and how they are distributing the funds, if you aren't adding the charity as the beneficiary directly.
Set up a withdrawal plan
You can start the withdrawal process even before your first donation or while your fundraiser continues to accept donations. Our payment processor is unable to act as a bank by holding on to your funds for longer periods of time, so you will need to set up withdrawals as soon as you can. If you do not set up withdrawals and complete any required verification within 90 days, new donations to your fundraiser may be paused. Make sure that you review other important withdrawal and verification deadlines, including avoiding refunds. To start the withdrawal process:
- Simply sign in and click "Withdraw" on your dashboard. (If you are using the GoFundMe app, select the "Bank transfer" button.)
- Follow the prompts to designate who will manage withdrawals. During this step, you will also indicate whether the funds are for you, your business or for a beneficiary. A beneficiary would be someone else or someone else’s business or organisation.
- If you are withdrawing the funds yourself, you will need to enter personal information such as your date of birth, postal address and your bank account number. If you are withdrawing to your business or organisation account, you’ll need to enter their information and provide our team with registration documents. For a full list and more details, see our article on requirements to withdraw from GoFundMe.
Raising funds for a charity in Spain or Italy and want to send the funds straight to them?
Generally, the best option is to send the funds directly to a charity so that they can withdraw to a bank account of their choice. To see a list of charities already available on our platform, click here for Spanish charities and click here for Italian charities.
If the charity you are raising funds for is not on the list, simply get in touch with the organisation and ask if they have already got a GoFundMe account. If they have, they can share the email address associated with the account and you can use that to add them as the beneficiary to your fundraiser. It’s best to ensure that the email address that was used on a previous campaign is used again, since that will help the organisation to streamline the withdrawal process. If the organisation of your choice does not have an account on GoFundMe, ask them to share an email address that they check on a regular basis instead.
Here are the steps to do this:
- Sign in to your GoFundMe account
- Click the "Withdraw" button at the top of your dashboard (or the "Bank transfer" button on the GoFundMe app), and then select "Set Up Withdrawals"
- Choose "Someone Else"
- Enter your beneficiary organisation’s name and email address and follow the prompts to send them an invitation
Once they accept, a new account will be created for them in conjunction with your campaign, and they'll be able to withdraw the funds directly. You should receive an email informing you once your beneficiary has accepted the invitation.
Respond promptly with any required verification
Our team reviews all donations and fundraisers to protect you and our community. If we or our payment processors have follow-up questions or there is missing or inconsistent information, we will request additional documentation. This information can include a request for a piece of ID, a bank statement or other details that are necessary to verify your account before continuing to withdraw funds.
We will contact you via your email address on file with an urgent email with subject line "Important Message from GoFundMe" or you can view and upload the documentation needed by clicking "Withdraw" when signed in to your account. If you do not see this email, make sure that you check your spam or "all mail" folders. Respond promptly with the required information to avoid withdrawal delays.
Important timelines to keep in mind
- Donation verification: As new donations are made, they will be reviewed and made available for withdrawal within 1-7 working days from the date of each donation. This timeline depends on the donor’s credit card issuer.
- Withdrawal information verification: To comply with all legal and necessary security policies for processing funds online, the verification of submitted withdrawal information and any required documentation may take up to 2 working days for personal withdrawals. It can take up to 8 working days for organisation or business withdrawals. Please bear in mind that to ensure the safety of your fundraiser, our payment processors may require additional information at any point throughout the process.
- Funds released for withdrawals: Once withdrawal information has been verified and you have addressed any urgent emails from our team, bank transfers will begin automatically the following day. You will receive an email letting you know that your funds are on the way.
- Bank transfer arrival to your bank account: Once a transfer is started, funds will arrive in your bank account within 2-5 working days.
Are you a Spanish or Italian charity and would like to claim funds raised on your behalf?
The first step is to contact the campaign organiser. You can visit their campaign and click on the "Contact" button beside their name, under the campaign story.
Please try to ensure that the same email address is always given to campaign organisers, since this ensures that all your GoFundMe fundraisers are housed under one account.
If you have any trouble getting in touch, you can always contact us, and we can help facilitate that contact.
To appear on our charity pages, please complete the information in this form.
We’re always here to help
We truly hope this guide helps offer peace of mind throughout your fundraising journey. Please contact us at any point if you have any questions.