This article will walk you through each step of the process, from creating your GoFundMe account to sharing your fundraiser.
Hello! I'm Jules. Thank you for considering GoFundMe to help you fundraise for the events and causes important to you.
This article shares a helpful overview of what to expect when you start a GoFundMe. We've also gathered a few of our most helpful articles for you here:
For additional support, and advice straight from other GoFundMe organisers, please visit our GoFundMe Community.
Step 1: Let’s start with the basics
Where do you live?
- Enter the location as the country of the bank account receiving the funds. This will also determine which currency the funds will be collected in.
What are you fundraising for?
- Choosing a category is just a way to help other people to find your fundraiser, so you can select whichever seems closest to your circumstances.
What's your name?
- The name you enter will be displayed publicly on the fundraiser page. If you don't want to use your full name, whether for safety or personal reasons, you can enter your chosen name here. Make sure that you to your legal name when you set up transfers.
Who are you fundraising for?
- If you'll be managing transfers yourself, whether to a personal or company account, select "Yourself". If you'll need to add a beneficiary, select "Someone else". And if you are raising funds for a charity and would like the funds to be sent directly to that charity, select "Charity".
Step 2: Set your fundraising target
Your target amount should reflect how much you would like to raise. When setting your target, keep in mind there will be a transaction fee per donation, so you may want to set your goal slightly higher than what you need. You can learn more about setting your target in this article.
Here are some important things to know about your target amount:
- You have the option to edit your target at any time
- You do not need to reach your target to receive any funds
- Your fundraiser won't automatically end when you reach your target
Step 3: Create your GoFundMe account
To create your account, enter your email address and a password. Double-check the spelling of your email and it's good practice to make note of your password somewhere safe.
Make sure that you use an email account that you have access to, because our team will be sending you important messages there.
Step 4: Add a cover photo or video
Fundraisers using a personal photo or video that showcases the person, animal or cause that the funds are in aid of are generally more successful than those that do not. Whether you choose a photo or video, please bear the following points in mind:
Step 5: Tell your story
First, you’ll need to create your fundraiser title. This is your chance to stand out. Create a title that is specific to your cause, using names or a call to action. For example, 'Help Kelly Smile Again' has more impact than 'funds for the dentist'. It has to be 35 characters or less, so make sure it fits!
A great story will be open and descriptive and include a bit about who you are, what you're raising funds for and how the money will be spent. If you're raising money for someone else (the beneficiary), it's a good idea to share how you know them.
When you have finished writing your story, click "Complete fundraiser", or "Save" if you want to make changes before launching.
Step 6: Complete your fundraiser
Once you click "Complete fundraiser", your campaign is live and open to receive donations!
Please continue reading for important information about how to start getting donations.
Step 7: Your fundraiser is ready. Let's start getting donations!
While your fundraiser can start receiving donations straight away, no one will know your fundraiser is active until you start sharing it. Sharing your fundraiser with as many communities as you can is the best way to make it a success. Here are a few ways to share, but if you would prefer not to connect these right now, you can click "next":
- Social media: You can use this page to connect your GoFundMe to a variety of social media platforms including Facebook, Messenger, Twitter and WhatsApp. You can also copy your fundraiser link here so that you have it ready to send to people.
- Email: You can import your contacts to GoFundMe and use this page to send emails.
- In person: You can use your custom link to share your fundraiser over text message, on posters and print outs, when speaking to your community and as part of presentations. There are countless ways to get the word out using your link!
Remember that sharing is key to getting donations on GoFundMe. If you aren’t sharing your fundraiser with your friends, family and community, then it’s not likely to get donations. Using your personal network can help get you closer to your target and you can read more about the different options for sharing in the "Fundraiser success tips" section of our Help Centre.
Step 8: Invite team members
Adding team members to your fundraiser can make it more successful. Team fundraisers have been shown to raise up to 3x more funds, and team members:
- Can help spread the word
- Can post updates and thank donors
- Cannot transfer funds or edit the story
Enter your team members’ email addresses and click "send invite" to ask them to join your team. Learn more about team fundraisers in this Help Centre article.
Your fundraiser is now live, and you’re ready to raise funds. For helpful advice and tips straight from other GoFundMe organisers, please visit our Community.