A great GoFundMe story will outline your cause clearly, in a way that is engaging to read all while speaking from the heart. First, check out these well-written fundraiser stories:
For a complete story that covers everything your readers will want to know, we recommend following the steps below on how to write a GoFundMe story.
Break it up
Short paragraphs work wonders when trying to make a story easy to read and understand. If you’re not sure where to break up your story, consider pressing enter twice after every four or five sentences.
- Introduce who or what you’re raising money for. If it’s for someone else, how do you know the person? This is where you want to make a personal connection with your donors.
- An explanation of your cause.
- How the money will be spent. We recommend getting specific and sharing the costs associated with your goal. Donors appreciate being in the loop about where their funds are going.
- Why this cause means so much to you.
- Share your gratitude and appreciation for any potential support.
- Let the reader know how to share your GoFundMe. For example: “To help get the word out, you can share the link to your Facebook Timeline!”
Add bold or underlined headlines
Your fundraisers description length can influence donations and it's important to format your story effectively. To do that, highlight the words you want bolded or underlined. Consider headlines like “The Backstory,” “The Costs,” “How You Can Help,” etc. Then, press the ‘control’ key and 'b' at the same time for bold letters, or the ‘control’ key and 'u' at the same time for underlined letters.
Add photos (or videos!) throughout your story
Adding the right images or videos to your story is a little-known GoFundMe feature that always makes a fundraiser look excellent. While in ‘Edit,’ place your cursor where you want the image to appear. Then, press the "Photo/Video" button.
Use italics in your story
We often see italics used if an organizer quotes someone, or would like part of the text to stand out from the rest of the non-italicized text. To do that, highlight the words you want italicized.
Check your spelling
Copy and paste your story into a free online spell check to make sure there aren’t any typos.
Still not sure where to start? You can find more helpful information in our GoFundMe blog.