GoFundMe offers two different types of fundraisers for organizations. One is a standard GoFundMe fundraiser, and the other is a certified charity fundraiser. To learn more about the differences between the two fundraiser types and how to set each type up, please read more here.
This article covers the following topics:
- How charity fundraiser withdrawals work
- How to withdraw from a charity fundraiser
- Withdrawal timelines
- PayPal Giving Fund contact information
How to end your fundraiser and send funds to charity
You do not have to worry about setting up withdrawals. When you entered an organization as your beneficiary for your campaign, you let GoFundMe Charity know which organization to send the funds raised. Please keep in mind that you won't be notified when the money is sent to the charity.
If the organization has enrolled with one of our payment processors, they will receive the funds within the next month. If the organization has not set up payment processing, the payout will take place via check. PayPal is required to complete a verification process which can take up to 5 months from the date they process their first donation.
How the benefitting charity withdraws its funds
For the charity to receive these funds via PayPal, a financial administrator belonging to the charity should sign up with the PayPal Giving Fund using these steps:
- Create a PayPal account or make sure that your existing PayPal account is upgraded to a business account through this link.
- Once you've set up your PayPal Business account, you'll need to confirm that your PayPal account belongs to a charity. Becoming a confirmed charity with PayPal also allows you to qualify for PayPal's special discounted charity rate. You can confirm your charity's status by visiting this link: https://www.paypal.com/charities/getstarted (After you submit, PayPal will review your documents and reply by email within **five business days.**)
- If you are located in California, you will need to complete enrollment by using the link in your confirmation email from PayPal Giving Fund.
For charities enrolled with PayPal Giving Fund, the money will be disbursed to their PayPal account at the end of each month. Money donated through the 15th of the month is sent to the charity’s PayPal account that same month. Any donations received after the 15th will be paid out the following month.
After the funds are in the charity’s PayPal account, they’ll be able to use the funds in PayPal, transfer the money to a bank account, or have a check mailed to them.
If the charity has not yet enrolled by the time the funds are ready to be sent, PayPal Giving Fund will make reasonable attempts to contact the charity and invite them to enroll. If the charity does not enroll with PayPal Giving Fund, PayPal Giving Fund will attempt to deliver the funds by other appropriate means, including via check. This can sometimes occur within 30 days, but can take up to 90 days, depending on the charity's status.
|Country||Platform Fee||Transaction Fees|
1.9% + £0.20 per donation
No fees for Gift Aid
2.9% + $0.30 per donation
2.9% + $0.30 per donation
2.2% + $0.30 per donation
PayPal Giving Fund does not charge donors or charities for its services, so there are no additional fees for donations made to charity fundraisers.
PayPal Giving Fund Contact Information
You can contact PayPal Giving Fund by clicking here. Specifying your request is for "PayPal Giving Fund" or "charity," they can direct you to the service team that can assist you.