You’ve signed up, and are just a couple steps away from launching your fundraiser. We’ve put together some tips on how to create a successful GoFundMe.
Adding a fundraiser image or video
This image will appear at the top of your fundraiser and as the thumbnail image when your fundraiser is shared. Here are some tips for choosing a good image:
- Select a high-quality image of the person or cause you’re raising money for.
- Make sure your image is horizontally-oriented and at least 550 pixels wide by 300 pixels tall.
- Use a JPEG, PNG, or BMP format to ensure that it’s uploaded properly.
Note: If you want to use a short video, it will need to be uploaded to YouTube first. Then, you can add the YouTube link onto your fundraiser.
Here are some examples of powerful main images:
Check out some additional image tips here, and if you would like to use a video instead, check out the clip below for tips on how to create the perfect video on your smartphone:
Writing your story
Try to tell a direct, personal, and relatable story. Here are some great things to include in your story:
- Who are you?
Briefly introduce yourself. If you’re raising money for someone else, also introduce them and explain how you know this person.
- What are you raising money for?
Describe your cause and the current circumstances.
- How will the donations be used?
Try to be specific so donors can understand the impact they will make by supporting you.
- How else can people help?
Ask people to help you spread the word about your cause, and end by sharing your gratitude for any potential support.
Some additional story tips:
- Add more images and videos into your story to make it more engaging.
- Copy and paste your story into a free online spell check to ensure there are no typos.
Check out these examples of well-written fundraiser stories:
Publishing your fundraiser
Once you add your image and write your story, we recommend that you preview your fundraiser before publishing it to make sure everything looks good. But don’t worry if you think your story is not yet perfect, because you can always go back and make edits later.
We hope this helps. You can find more helpful information in our GoFundMe blog.