This article covers the following topics:
Introduction to GoFundMe Causes
What are GoFundMe Causes?
- A GoFundMe Cause brings donors, partners, charities, and fundraisers together to support a common interest and ongoing need.
- GoFundMe’s charitable arm, GoFundMe.org, created a general fund for each cause to collect and distribute tax-deductible donations to verified charities and individuals on GoFundMe. A donation to a Cause is an easy way to make a big impact. A single donation supports individuals with immediate needs as well as charities working to provide long-term relief.
Is GoFundMe.org separate from GoFundMe®?
- Yes. Launched in 2010, GoFundMe is the world’s largest online fundraising platform.
- GoFundMe.org is a 501(c)(3) public charity. GoFundMe.org is independent from GoFundMe and maintains a separate board of directors and a different CEO and CFO. It works closely with GoFundMe, especially in connection with raising and distributing funds in a low-cost and effective manner.
How did you select the existing GoFundMe Causes, and will there be additional GoFundMe Causes in the future?
- The first five Causes—COVID-19 Relief, Justice & Equality, Learning & Education, Basic Necessities, and Animal Rescue—represent broad needs that are ever-present on GoFundMe.
- At this time, we are focusing on the five causes and we’re excited to expand in the future.
How does GoFundMe determine the fundraisers and charities that receive grants?
- GoFundMe.org issues grants to fundraisers and charities that meet vetting and eligibility requirements. The requirements vary depending on the circumstances. For example, GoFundMe.org researches various charities that support the mission stated within each of the causes.
- In connection with grants to individual fundraisers, GoFundMe.org looks at the fundraiser to ensure that the stated purposes are in alignment with the cause. In addition, GoFundMe.org will look at social cues to determine reliability, and conduct independent research in an effort to discern impact.
- All grantees are vetted prior to receiving a grant. Working with GoFundMe®, GoFundMe.org deploys proprietary technical tools and has multiple processes in place that are on par with those used at financial institutions. We use these, along with independent research, to verify grantees.
Can I apply for a GoFundMe Cause grant?
- No application is needed. To be considered for a grant from a cause, your fundraiser must benefit a charitable class and be related to one of the five causes. Review each of the causes to determine which one best fits your fundraiser’s stated purpose. Then, add the corresponding hashtag to your fundraiser description:
- Basic Necessities - #fFundBasicNecessities
- Animal Rescue - #FundAnimalRescue
- Justice & Equality - #FundJusticeaAndEquality
- Learning & Education - #FundLearningAndEducation
- COVID-19 Relief - #FundCovidRelief
- Please note, this is separate from the fundraiser category chosen when creating your fundraiser. The category is a simple way to describe the purpose of their fundraiser to potential donors, but does not affect eligibility for a grant.
How do you determine the amount of the grants each fundraiser and nonprofit receives?
- The amount varies and is based on the amount the cause has raised, the frequency and size of the donations, and the size of the charitable class helped by the grant.
How quickly does GoFundMe.org disburse the funds?
- Provided the fundraiser meets all criteria, GoFundMe.org can start making grants to charities or qualifying fundraisers within a matter of days. After a fundraiser receives its grant, withdrawals may take another 2-5 business days to arrive into the designated bank accounts.
What happens when the number of fundraisers exceeds the amount of money available in the general fund?
- GoFundMe.org will continue making grants to qualifying fundraisers or charitable organizations until the general fund attached to a cause is depleted. Grants will resume when more donations are made to the cause’s general fund.
What is the benefit of donating to a Cause vs. directly to an individual or charity fundraiser?
- Many people are eager to support those in need, but with hundreds and even thousands of fundraisers to choose from, many struggle to decide which fundraiser is most deserving of their donation. GoFundMe Causes eliminates the need to decide on which individual fundraiser or charity to support by allowing you to make a tax-deductible donation to the GoFundMe Cause.
How do I know what fundraisers and charities my donation will benefit?
- We’ll regularly email you stories and videos along with sharing frequent updates on the cause from the people and charities you’ve helped so you can see how your donation has made a difference.
Are donations to a GoFundMe.org fundraiser tax deductible?
- Yes, donations to GoFundMe.org general funds are tax deductible for qualifying donors. GoFundMe.org is a U.S.-based 501(c)(3), with a federal tax ID number (EIN) of 81-2279757. Please check with your tax preparer to confirm whether your donation is tax deductible. We are working to expand our tax exempt status to other countries.