One factor that influences a GoFundMe fundraiser's success is how well the GoFundMe organizer tells their story. The actual text of the story is incredibly important, but pictures and videos help bring your story to life. Even just a short video describing what you need the funds for, how they'll be used, and featuring the person or cause you're raising funds for can be very impactful.
How to add a video to your fundraiser
If you're using the GoFundMe app, you can record directly through GoFundMe. If you're using desktop or a mobile browser, you'll need to use a video that's been posted to YouTube.
To upload your video to YouTube, follow these steps:
- Create or sign into your account with YouTube Studio
- Once signed in, click “Create” in the top right corner
- Select “Upload videos” from the drop down menu
- Select your file to be uploaded
- Once uploaded, you can continue to follow prompts to title your video and edit it to your specifications before officially uploading to YouTube
- Once you’ve set your specifications, you’ll select “Save” to complete the upload
For additional assistance, you can visit YouTube Help.
Once your video is successfully displayed on YouTube, you can use it a few different ways on your GoFundMe fundraiser.
To use the video as the main image for your fundraiser, sign into your GoFundMe account and follow these steps:
- Select “Start a new fundraiser”
- Fill out your fundraiser details - title, goal, etc.
- When prompted to provide a main image, select the button “Add a YouTube video”
- Paste your video link into the provided field, and select “Continue”
- You can then finish launching your fundraiser, and the video will be your main image
To add a video to your story, sign into your GoFundMe account and follow these steps:
- Select "Edit" below your fundraiser title
- Scroll to the story section
- Select "Edit" to expand your story text box, and then choose the Video
- Paste your link into the text box, select “Add a YouTube video”, and then select “Publish changes”