You will have a couple of options when you are done raising funds and you’d like to end your fundraiser; you can either delete the fundraiser completely or turn incoming donations off. In this article, we’ll explain each option.
Delete your fundraiser
If you go with this option, posting a final update is a great way to let your supporters know that you're closing it for good. Please keep the following in mind:
- The fundraiser will still show up on your dashboard as “Inactive" even when it is deleted, but it will not be publicly visible. However, you will not be able to access the fundraiser at all once it is deleted.
- Only an organizer can delete a fundraiser through their account. If you are the beneficiary or team member for a fundraiser, please contact the organizer to delete it.
- Deleting your fundraiser will not automatically refund your donors. As long as your withdrawal information has been verified, deleting your fundraiser will not have an effect on your outgoing withdrawals.
Follow these steps to delete your fundraiser from within your GoFundMe account:
- On the “Your Fundraisers” page, click “Manage” on the fundraiser you’d like to delete.
- Choose the “Edit and Settings” button next to your fundraiser title (on a mobile device simply select “Edit” from the bottom menu).
- Click “Delete fundraiser” at the very bottom of your screen.
- Type "delete" into the form as confirmation, and click “Delete fundraiser”. Once complete, a green banner will show at the top of the screen showing the fundraiser is deactivated.
Steps to delete a fundraiser are shown above.
Turn donations off, but keep the fundraiser active
This option will allow you to turn off incoming donations, but keep the fundraiser visible on GoFundMe. We strongly recommend this option as it allows you to continue posting updates, leaves a record for future reference, and helps inspire others. Being able to look back at a successful fundraiser reminds supporters of the special part they played in making positive change happen.
Follow these steps to turn off donations from within your GoFundMe account:
- On the “Your Fundraisers” page, click “Manage” on the fundraiser you’d like to turn donations off
- Choose the “Edit and Settings” button next to your fundraiser title (on a mobile device, simply select edit from the bottom menu).
- Uncheck “Allow donations to my fundraiser” at the bottom
- Select “Save”