GoFundMe is dedicated to empowering people to help people, and an overwhelming majority of campaigns on our platform are safe and legitimate. Fraudulent campaigns make up less than one tenth of one percent of all campaigns.
In the rare instances where people create campaigns with the intention to take advantage of others’ generosity, GoFundMe takes swift action to resolve the issue.
Our policy is simple and strictly enforced: It is not permitted to lie or intentionally deceive donors to a GoFundMe campaign for financial or personal gain.
If you are a donor or a campaign beneficiary who is concerned you were a victim of fraud on GoFundMe, please click here to see if you qualify for the GoFundMe Guarantee.
The following are examples of expressly forbidden fraudulent activity:
- Breaking the law
- Lying or being misleading about your identity as a campaign organizer or your relationship to the beneficiary of the funds
- Posting misleading statements in the campaign description
- Not delivering funds to the stated beneficiary
- Not using funds for their stated purpose
The following are examples of situations that are not considered fraudulent on our platform:
- Rumors or speculation of fraud
- Requesting that your name or image be removed from a campaign description
- Disagreeing with the nature of the campaign or the character of the campaign organizer
- Custody or familial disputes or disagreements
GoFundMe cooperates with law enforcement and provides them with any information needed in an investigation. If you are a law enforcement officer looking to contact our team, please click here to submit a subpoena.
A Message from the US Department of Justice:
If you believe you have been a victim of fraud from a person or an organization soliciting relief funds on behalf of storm victims or have knowledge of waste, abuse, or allegations of mismanagement involving disaster relief operations, contact the National Center for Disaster Fraud toll free at: (866) 720-5721 You can also fax information to: (225) 334-4707 or e-mail it to: email@example.com.