Why you need to verify your phone number
For personal campaigns in select countries, you may be required to verify your account by phone. Verifying your phone number (a.k.a, using MFA - Multi Factor Authentication) before you withdraw allows an extra layer of verification whenever you are managing your funds. Relying on a password alone is less secure, because a password is something that someone else may be able to obtain. Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), is a powerful tool against hackers and scammers.
Note: You will need to make sure that you use a phone number in the country that you created the campaign in. For example, if you set up a campaign in USD, you will need to have a code sent to a US phone number within the 50 states. If you set up a Canadian campaign, you will need to verify with a code sent to a Canadian phone number.
If you do not have a phone number:
- You can ask close friend or family member to provide a phone number in the country you signed up with. They'll need to also give you the 2-step authentication code each time you log in to GoFundMe on a new device. The codes expire in 10-15 minutes so make sure it's someone that you can easily speak with.
- You can sign up for a free number from TextNow. This is a free number you can use to receive texts and phone calls on your computer or tablet.
- If you have one, you can also try using a Skype number. Our verification codes will work with them, even if you are overseas.
If these options will not work for you, please contact our team by explaining a bit about the situation so we can best assist.
Not receiving code to your phone solutions:
Wait 15 minutes to request a new code.
If you haven't verified with your phone yet and haven't received a code through text message, we'd first recommend waiting 15 minutes for the code to arrive, and then requesting a new code if it doesn’t come.
Verification codes expire after 10 Minutes.
Be sure you enter only the most recent code you receive, and that you do so within 10 minutes of the code arriving to your phone.
Codes will always be five or six digits.
If the code you type in isn’t working, make sure you're entering a five or six digit code. The code will come from a five-digit number, so please check that you’re not entering the phone number the code is coming from by mistake.
Make sure you have good cell phone reception.
These codes are sent like any other text or phone call, so if you don’t have great service where you are, please try waiting 10 minutes and moving somewhere with a more reliable connection.
Request the code via "Voice Call".
If you still aren't getting a text message, try requesting a code via "Voice Call".
If you haven't verified your phone number yet, follow these steps from a computer or mobile browser:
- Sign in to your GoFundMe account here
- Select the “Withdraw” button
- On the verification window enter your phone number
- Select “Voice Call” and select “Send”
- Enter your 5-digit code on GoFundMe
If you’ve already entered your phone number, hit the “Need to change the number” button to request a voice call instead.
Changing your phone number:
If you’ve already verified your account with a phone number, you can follow these steps to reset it:
- Sign into your GoFundMe campaign dashboard
- Select the "Withdraw" button
- Next, choose the link labeled ‘‘Need to change phone number"?
- On the next screen, enter your old phone number and select "Reset". Once your old phone number is verified, you'll be able to enter your new phone number