Welcome! GoFundMe is the world’s largest crowdfunding platform, with over $9 billion raised so far. With a community of more than 50 million donors, GoFundMe is changing the way the world gives.
With GoFundMe, it’s easy to raise funds for yourself, your family or for the causes you are most passionate about. Donors from all over the world can securely donate using any major credit or debit card. Backed by the GoFundMe Guarantee, GoFundMe is a safe and secure platform for giving. Our team of specialists works hard to make sure that funds get to the intended recipient, every time. In the rare case that something isn’t right, you can look to our GoFundMe Guarantee, which ensures that we will work with you to determine if misuse has occurred. Learn more.
Before you get started, the article below share a helpful overview of what to expect when you start a GoFundMe. For additional support, and advice directly from other GoFundMe organizers, please check out our GoFundMe Community.
What can I use GoFundMe for?
The short answer is: you can use GoFundMe for just about anything.
Most people use GoFundMe to raise money for themselves, a loved one, or a friend in need during life's most important moments. This can include anything from medical expenses, education costs, trips & aspirations, volunteer programs, youth sports, funerals & memorials, or animals & pets. GoFundMe can also be used to raise money for your favorite charity.
We encourage you to review our Terms of Service if you're unsure that the content of your fundraiser is allowed. If you have additional questions, the "Prohibited Conduct" section lists the most common types of fundraisers we do not currently permit.
Starting your GoFundMe
First, click “Start a GoFundMe” from our homepage.
When you click “Start a GoFundMe”, you will automatically be prompted to sign in or sign up for a GoFundMe account. If you already have a GoFundMe account, please use the option of signing in. Otherwise, you can enter your name, email address, and a password to create a new account!
Please note, the name you enter when creating your account is the name that will be displayed on the fundraiser page. For our customers who no longer use their legal name, whether for safety or personal reasons, you can enter your chosen name here, and it won’t affect the name entered for purposes of setting up withdrawals.
Creating your fundraiser
Once you create your account, you will be prompted to create a fundraiser, and the first question will be “Who are you raising funds for?”
If the funds will be withdrawn to a personal or company bank account, select “Yourself or someone else”. If you are raising funds for a charity and would like the funds to be sent directly to that charity, select “A nonprofit or charity”. Then, continue with the next steps.
1. Let’s start with the basics
- Where do you live?
- Enter the location as the country of the bank account receiving the funds. This will also determine the currency collected.
- What are you fundraising for?
- Choosing a category is just a way to help other people to find your fundraiser, so you can select whichever seems closest to your situation.
- What is your fundraiser title?
- This is your chance to stand out. Create a title that is specific to your cause, using names or a call to action. For example, ‘Help Kelly Smile Again’ has more impact than ‘funds for the dentist’. It has to be 35 characters or less, so make sure it fits!
2. Set your fundraising goal
Your goal amount should reflect how much you’re looking to raise. When setting your goal, keep in mind there will be a transaction fee per donation, so you may want to set your goal slightly higher than what you need. You can learn more about fees in this article.
Here are some important things to know about your goal amount:
- You have the option to edit your goal at any time
- You do not need to reach your goal to receive your funds
- Your fundraiser won't automatically end if you reach your goal
3. Add a cover photo or video
Fundraisers using a personal photo or video that showcases the person, animal, or cause for the funds have been proven to be most successful. Whether you choose a photo or video, please keep the following in mind:
- You must have the rights to post and share the photo or video
- The photo must be of high quality
- The photo size is recommended to be 720 x 405.
- JPEG, PNG, or BMP
- The video must be hosted on YouTube and set to Public
4. Tell your story
A great story will be open and descriptive, and include a bit about who you are, what you're raising funds for, and how the money will be spent. If you're raising money for someone else (the beneficiary), it's a good idea to share how you know them.
When you have finished writing your story, click “Complete fundraiser”, or “Save” if you would like to make changes before launching.
5. Complete your fundraiser
Once you click “Complete your fundraiser” your campaign is live and available to receive donations! If you aren’t ready for it to be live, you can select “Save” instead of “Complete your fundraiser” and come back to it when the time is right.
6. Your fundraiser is ready. Let's start getting donations
While your fundraiser can start receiving donations right away, no one will see your fundraiser until you start to share it. Sharing your fundraiser with as many communities as you can is the best way for it to be successful. Here are a few ways to share, but if you would prefer not to connect these right now, you can click “next”:
- Social media: You can use this page to connect your GoFundMe to a variety of social media platforms, including Facebook, Messenger, Twitter, and WhatsApp. You can also copy your fundraiser link here so that you have it ready to send to people.
- Email: You can import your contacts to GoFundMe and use this page to send emails.
- In person: You can use your custom link to share your fundraiser over text message, on posters and print outs, when speaking to your community, and as part of presentations. There are countless ways to get the word out using your link!
Remember, sharing is the key part to getting donations on GoFundMe. If you aren’t sharing your fundraiser with your friends and family, then it’s likely not going to get donations. Using your personal network can help get you closer to your goal, and you can read more about the different options for sharing in this article.
7. Invite team members
Adding team members to your fundraiser can make you more successful. Team fundraisers have been shown to raise up to 3x more funds, and team members:
- Can help spread the word
- Can post updates and thank donors
- Cannot withdraw funds or edit the story
Enter your team members’ email addresses and click “send invite” to ask them to join your team. Learn more about team fundraisers in this Help Center article.
Your fundraiser is now live, and you’re ready to raise funds. For helpful advice and tips directly from other GoFundMe organizers, please check out our Community.
Managing your fundraiser
You should now be taken to your dashboard. It is important to note that you will have to set up the withdrawals, (or invite the beneficiary to) so that the funds raised are deposited into the right bank account. You can do that here, or wait until you receive an email from GoFundMe.
Otherwise, the dashboard is where you’ll manage all aspects of your fundraiser. Edit your story, share your fundraiser, post an update, and invite donors. It’s all found here!