With over $15 billion raised from more than >200 million donations, GoFundMe offers users a dependable platform for fundraising. Our team works hard to ensure that all of the funds raised on our platform are used only as stated in the fundraiser story and that all donations are delivered securely to the right person. As part of this, GoFundMe relies on the help of our community to keep GoFundMe secure.
Below are some guidelines and questions you can use to determine a fundraiser's legitimacy.
Read the fundraiser
The fundraiser page should answer the following:
- How is the organizer related to the intended recipient of the donations?
- What is the purpose of the fundraiser and how will the funds be used?
- Are direct family and friends making donations and leaving words of encouragement?
- Is the intended recipient in control of the withdrawals? If not, is there a clear path for the funds to reach them?
If any of the points above are missing on the fundraiser, we encourage you to message the organizer by clicking 'Contact' next to their name on their fundraiser to ask for more information.
Ask yourself these questions
- Does the GoFundMe include intentionally misleading or factually incorrect information?
- Are the funds not being used for the stated purpose within a reasonable amount of time (including withholding funds from the beneficiary)?
- Is the GoFundMe impersonating someone else and/or copying their story?
- Is the GoFundMe violating any of our terms and conditions?
If the answer is yes to any of these questions, please click here to learn how to Report a Fundraiser.