Sometimes a campaign doesn't work out and you need to refund your donors. The good news is that you may be able to take care of this without reaching out to our team! Just note that this action is not reversible, so once you decide to take it you won't be able to change your mind. Your donors will receive their funds back in 3-7 business days (weekends and holidays aren't included).
How to Issue a Refund
Customers in the US and Canada with a personal campaign who have raised $1000 or less from at least one donor (within the last 6 months), can refund without contacting our team by following these steps:
- Click this link to go to our contact form
- Fill out the contact form with the following:
- "I am a GoFundMe creator or organizer"
- "Ending a GoFundMe & issuing refunds"
- "How do I refund all my donors?' *You can choose this option even if your campaign only has one donation raised.*
- Enter your account email where it says, "Your Email Address"
- Locate the email in your inbox and click "Refund all donations"
If this doesn't work for any reason, simply contact our team and we can help you directly.
Over $1000 Raised
Please reach out to us by clicking the "Contact us" button within the Help center. Please note that refunds cannot be reversed and will be fully returned to the card the donor used within 3-7 business days.
If you've already withdrawn the funds, you may need to refund your donors outside of GoFundMe or we may need to first recover the money from your bank account depending on which payment processor your account is set up with.
Accounts based in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, and Switzerland, along with a few of our Australian customers, have Stripe accounts. These customers can refund on their end without contacting GoFundMe.
If you click "Withdraw" from within your GoFundMe account and see a mention of your Stripe email, you can use that email to sign into Stripe using the link below and then follow these steps to issue refunds:
- Log in to your Stripe account here
- On the left-hand side, click "Payments"
- Click the three dots beside the payment you would like to refund and click "Refund Payment"
- You’ll be prompted to select a reason for your refund before confirming. Once you confirm, your refund will be successfully completed
- You’ll then see "Refunded" next to the donation, within your Stripe dashboard
On Stripe these take between 5-10 business days to return to your donor.